PLEASE REVIEW OPEN POSITION INFORMATION BELOW
What became Camp Kum-Ba-Yah, a 501(c)3 non-profit organization in 1982, began in 1950 as a children’s recreational program of Lynchburg Christian Fellowship (LCF), now Lynchburg Covenant Fellowship. The Cosby family began LCF in response to a boom of development in the city. One of our key founders, Bev Cosby, asked the question, “where will the children play?” In 1966 four congregations joined together to offer an inner-city summer program: St Paul’s Episcopal, Jackson Street Methodist, Covenant Presbyterian and Church of the Covenant. That summer the inner-city children’s favorite song was Kum-Ba-Yah. Shortly thereafter the inner-city and Boonsboro Road programs were combined and LCF adopted Kum-Ba-Yah as the camp’s official name. The history of our organization is richly diverse and continues to focus its work in child development, family and school engagement, community building, relational leadership, outdoor learning and environmental stewardship.
Camp Kum-Ba-Yah has offered quality outdoor enrichment day camp experiences for children in central Virginia for over 65 years. Nestled in the heart of Lynchburg, Camp Kum-Ba-Yah offers 40+ acres for children to explore the natural world around them, experience personal discovery through new and challenging activities in a safe and encouraging environment, and an opportunity to cultivate friendships through shared responsibility and community. Children join us from every part of the city and every walk of life. We celebrate the specialness of difference and strive to enable all children to find confidence and a sense of self-worth. Our current programs include year-round personalized education programs for pre-school through middle school students; team-building for co-workers, students, athletics teams, and other groups; family nature club to provide opportunities for families to enjoy outdoor activities together; Young Buds nature clubs for children between 2 and 5 years old to explore nature themes through stories, outdoor play, games, songs, movement, and crafts; and our summer day camp program for children between 5 and 13 years old.
Camp Kum-Ba-Yah is supported by generous individuals, foundations, community organizations, churches, and corporations. Donors make it possible for Camp Kum-Bah Yah to continue its operations, and without their ongoing support, our mission could not be achieved.
Camp Kum-Ba-Yah is seeking a part-time development professional to support its fundraising efforts in the areas of database management and campaign implementation. The ideal candidate will bring a detail-oriented and solutions-driven approach to the Kum-Ba-Yah staff and Board of Directors, and will have a proven ability to work with a team to achieve fundraising success.
● The Development Associate reports directly to the Executive Director.
● To effectively fulfill the responsibilities of the position, the Development Associate must work closely with the Program Director, Board of Directors, and Capital Campaign Committee.
● Donor data entry: processes all donations to the organization, enters all gifts into donor database, creates reports from the donor database, transfers paper-based files to electronic donor database
● Gift acknowledgement: manages the donor acknowledgement process, prints thank-you letters for all donors to the organization, mails or emails all donors according to the Executive Director’s instructions
● Campaign implementation: facilitates the successful and timely completion of all e-mail and direct mail campaigns by providing reports from the donor database, securing competitive bids from print/mail vendors, working with selected vendors to complete print and mail processes for on-time delivery
● Board/Capital Campaign Committee support: responsible for providing professional support to the Board of Directors and Capital Campaign Committee, including compiling materials for meetings, researching donors and prospective donors, taking meeting minutes, running requested reports, and responding to all requests from the Board and committees, as needed
● Donor stewardship: provides event planning and implementation support, creates and sends correspondence to donors (birthday cards, etc.), facilitates donor meetings for staff and Board members, manages engagement and marketing for the Keepers of the Woods program, develops and shares content for social media and donor-facing materials
● Successfully worked on a team to achieve measurable goals
● Demonstrated proficiency with database management (donor management systems experience preferred)
● Supported the successful implementation of marketing/fundraising campaigns from concept to production (direct mail, e-mail, and social media experience preferred)
● Exhibited excellent communication skills with various and diverse audiences (staff, Board, donor, vendor, etc.)
● Managed a variety of tasks and projects simultaneously; working well independently as well as in project-based groups
● 3-5 years in relevant and progressively responsible professional position(s)
● Learn more about Camp Kum-Ba-Yah at www.campkumbayah.org
● Interested individuals should submit a cover letter, resume, and three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org (Emily Crowder, President of the Board of Directors)
● Candidates will be selected for interviews no later than July 15, 2018.
● Questions regarding the opportunity should be directed to Emily Crowder (email@example.com)